September 28, 2012

This One's for the Fellas


Today I have another "man meal" and it's a guest post thanks to my brother!  Looks delicious!

So originally I had planned to take her out for dinner, but instead I decided why not have a nice home cooked meal by candle light.  I definitely recommend this meal, gents.  It was super easy, didn’t make a huge mess, and tasted great.  I’ll start from the beginning…

Meal choice:  Marinated chicken breasts, asparagus with béarnaise and mashed potatoes.

First things first: Ambiance.  I took the liberty of picking out 7 or 8 candles at the grocery store.  Glade candles were on sale for the week, so I went with them.  Pick out a few different scents.  Place them all over the house and group the scents.  
 Pick up some nice flowers too.  I always felt like it was kind of cliché to get flowers, but apparently women really like them ;)  
 
Picking out ingredients:  No need to get super fancy here, guys.  I picked up about 2lbs of chicken breasts (or a pack of 3).  I also grabbed a bundle of asparagus. I’m not a huge fan of asparagus, but I know she really likes it.  Here comes the tricky part.  Mashed potatoes…I went with Bob Evans garlic mashed potatoes.  Keep it simple.  
 For the marinade I used McCormick Grill Mates Garlic, Herb and Wine.  It comes in a little powder packet with ingredients on back.  If you’re not sure you have what it calls for buy it while you’re at the store.  The béarnaise sauce comes in a powder as well.  
Preparation and Cooking Times:  You’ll need about an hour to prep and cook all parts of the meal.  Marinade the chicken first.  Mix up your marinade as per the instructions on the back of the packet.  Rinse your chicken with cold water and put in a plastic Ziploc bag along with the marinade and throw it back in the fridge while you prepare the rest of your meal.  
 I cooked everything in the oven, but you can use the grill if you’d like.  Take your asparagus and snap all the bottoms off.  Place them in a Pyrex cooking dish.  You can layer them up.  Coat them in olive oil, a dash of salt and some ground pepper.  Set that to the side.   
Take your chicken out of the Ziploc bag and place in a suitable size Pyrex dish.  Dump the rest of the marinade in there with it. 
 Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.  You’re going to cook the chicken for about 30 – 35 minutes and the asparagus about 15 – 20 minutes.  Throw the chicken in there first and when it’s got 15 minutes left throw the asparagus in there.  
 I cooked the potatoes in a pot.  I added a little bit of fresh garlic and some milk and butter to dress it up a little bit.  Heat it on low heat, stirring frequently.  
 The béarnaise takes about 5 minutes and thickens up/skins over quickly, so you’ll want to make this last.  Again follow the directions on the package.  
 Serve from the same dishes you cooked in or plate the meal.  I plated.  The béarnaise goes on the asparagus, so don’t put it on everything.  
Wine:  A nice light chardonnay goes well with this meal.  I went with Chateau St Michelle.  I’ve had it a couple times before and it’s very good and inexpensive.  
Light all the candles, set your placemats with all necessary utensils for the meal.  Keep it classy, boys.  We're professionals and you know she's worth it.
Lastly: Contingency plan.  I’m not the best in the kitchen so I like to have a contingency plan just in case something doesn’t go right.  I got some Ice Cream sandwiches.  Doubles as dessert. 
Have fun!
  -Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment